Monday, April 2, 2012

News From Cape Verde.

Ola everyone! First week in Africa! Crazy! When I first showed up I did not know what to think. Everyone and everything looked a lot different. When I first showed up I got to go and eat with the Mission President and have a "welcome to Cape Verde" meeting and I found out where my first assignment would be. For the first part of my mission I am serving in a place called Assomada on the main Island Santiago. This place is awesome! The first couple days it was really weird... Everyone was screaming at me out of cars, not one person besides the missionaries were speaking Portuguese and the whole culture is completely the opposite to what I'm used to. Luckily things got better, a lot better. I discovered that everyone was yelling at us out of their cars because basically everyone that has a car is a taxi so they all just yell out the city that they're going to. Unfortunately everyone still is speaking Creole. I guess after 3 transfers (according to everyone) you can understand creole even though you don't speak it because it is super close to Portuguese. Its rather annoying though. We speak Portuguese, they respond in Creole, even though almost everyone can speak Portuguese. The food here is actually super good! At least in the place I'm at there is a grocery store that has basically everything America has its just a Chinese or Cape Verde knock-off. My appartment is sweet. Its gotta be one of the nicest places in Assomada. There used to be 4 Elders there but now it is just us so we actually have a lot of room. A full sized kitchen, two bathrooms with nice cold water, a small laundry room two bedrooms. I hope everything is going well in the good old US of A. Enjoy your grass, carpet and pavement. I dont plan on seeing any of those for the next 22 months haha. Fica fixe.

No comments:

Post a Comment